Tuesday 4 February 2014

Yesterday's Rurelec: BRR Media & the RNS...(More Legal)


I was surprised not to hear about the Compensation being on the low side. It would appear Rurelec's strategy is to accept the matter quickly (nothing else they can do) and move on. With the exception of one message, I am so pleased people did the appropriate thing. This isn't some form of smoke up my own, there's nothing better than seeing people make profit. I'd also be interested to hear how Ben did or what his strategy is.

The derisory size of the award or the complete lack of costs based on Bolivia's actions being illegal and causing the Company/Shareholders a loss is disappointing. Surely common-sense states that costs were essential? However, the publication of the full award and decisions will no doubt answer a lot of questions for which I shall review. 

Rightly, as per Leggie's comment this is useful in working risks into awards with other companies Oxus and Churchill. The interesting element is, this past few weeks there's been some significantly lower awards. As discussed the other day on ML was the Redhall Group Plc (RHL), whose settlement was not only low, was contrary to all the boards assertions. Alas, there's something in terms of factoring in the risks which may lower the expectations. However I shall not change my investment case on these Companies until other variables change. Over the period for Rurelec there was significant profit, like what I have built in Churchill Mining and Oxus Gold Plc.

Irrespective, the matter is now moving forward for Rurelec. So for those of us whom are staying long-term anyway, it shall be an interesting time ahead for Rurelec. 

Now this is something that surprised me, whilst having a coffee yesterday I took a call from a trader. He's actually going long on Albermarle & Bond (ABM). No I was not smoking crack (I haven't smoked for 12 years), but was confused by his argument. He's off belief the Management with larger shareholders is going to try and take the company out cheap. I'm not sure the term cheap is the right word, but I shall certainly follow as it had crossed my mind, not enough to trade long though! It wasn't many days ago I was congratulating him on his trading prowess at going "large short on Barclays (LSE: BARC)" and a few well-timed plays on Facebook (too big for me for the moment).

What is a change for me is my plays on Apple (NASDAQ:AAPL). Its something I have steered away from as the juggernaut takes no prisoners. This is new for me, but the reasoning behind it is simple, for 20 months, I have been keeping a diary of when I would short and long according to the News and Market influences. I think I'm getting my head round the Company, albeit still on the low side at 70+% accuracy. With their increased focus on profit and margins, their should be some turn in the company, but my main basis is the trades. With Tech stocks comes litigation, which appears non-stop, the latest line ups appear to be Samsungs predictive text/wording which iPhone whom appears to have patented the format. I wonder when Nokia come to the fold and start a 'true party.' 

Staying with that theme Emblaze LSE:BLZ due to start the case with Apple this June 2014 (Jury Trial). The Apple and Microsoft proceedings are on-going. Emblaze Ltd Interim Management Statement 19th November 2013  (when you click on the link press Ctrl+F then search for the term "Legal proceedings in these two cases are ongoing" which will speed your search up.) This could have significance for Emblaze on the basis of any size of award. The Company is trading below the cash held...albeit without good reason, a quick glance across any coverage is limited, I would not say the company has pushed its viability or stock for some time. 

Atb Fraser

1 comment:

  1. Fraser

    Not sure re ABM call- maybe he has more info than us but surely anyone wanting to cherry pick ABM would let them go into administration now (wiping out the shareholders) and then pick up the bits they want at a knockdown price. A brave call to buy/hold unless informed there. As you know, no one is offering shorts on ABM.

    Re BLZ- this site might help- it shows their Microsoft case as going into a Tutorial Hearing today and a Claim Construction Hearing on 6/2/14. This may be a pivotal point to offer settlement, as most of these tech IP cases get settled rather than go to trial. Lets see, but the news could be on here before an RNS-
    http://dockets.justia.com/docket/california/candce/3:2012cv05422/260074

    Cheers. The Leggie

    ReplyDelete