Saturday 23 November 2013

Rant: What is annoying about 99% of AIM companies.

I was going to snap this onto the end of the Rurelec update but I think it's important to acknowledge separately. 

Rant: what is annoying about a significant % of AIM companies.

So as shareholders we employ MD/CEO's/FD to undertake a specific role. That role should cover all elements that are required for the company to progress commercially. So why is it, you find companies paying consultancy fees to MD's/CEO/FD's and the like that should be incorporated within the role? I don't mean their overall fee arrangement and how its paid, but those additional payments. I mean the specific elements say for example, take a mining company, why should a consultancy payment be made to a CEO whose role should cover "mining finance, PR, and strategy/commercial optimisation." Its one thing I am looking at significantly, amazingly here's a thought for investors...

The fees charged (under G&A General and Administrative) expenses is far from proportional to the returns for shareholders. For me, when I see significant excess with little return I am now shorting these stocks...Yes I've so far shorted, VIY, RGM, RRR, NYO, PVCS, CYAN BLVN...the list is endless or very poor performances some because of the market conditions others because they were never in my opinion likely to return anything for shareholders long. 

The companies need to start being accountable for their wages and lack of return for shareholders; I base this on their share prices...why does a party deserve near $250K+ per annum for a company never returning anything for its shareholders...those stalwarts of "long only." Something I used to be but have significantly changed...I'm a negative trader now, looking for items the market doesn't appreciate or is clearly running out of cash...80% of my book is short. 

There's two Directors in particular whom I won't name at the moment, from a certain company that appear to have their 'nose' in the trough in so many ways, I'm amazed their cleaner can't claim a fee as well. It's one of the reasons I now monitor the alleged tips/recommends by many people to appraise the 'pump' or short to wait for a spike on nothing to short later...

I am now firmly engrained in companies with multimillion pound market caps above most of AIM, where their fundamentals don't add up...or do. Examples being, BT compared to SKY, the short on SKY was clear as anything. However, one chap paid vast amounts informed me I didn't know what I was talking about and hoped I got burnt. Going as far to inform me that my head was stuck up my arse…no one considered the challenges and increased cost per user to maintain them with SKY, nor did they consider that Sky is reliant on specific elements…how much will the Premier League Cost next time…analysts aren’t rating in the fear factor that Sky (LSE: BSY) will have to pay. They can’t afford to lose it..especially if Liberty come to the market perhaps taking ITV. Some say this may cause a monopoly, however I disagree...

So back to my rant, where there has been more than 3 targets missed on a company, name me a share price that hasn't halved? Of the ones I follow, short, long etc...there's not one. I'll give you a prime example of a company I have been significantly short on...actually two, just to get your brains thinking. 




Look at the lack of returns, I raised this when options were awarded in Vialogy when it was significantly higher. Why would you buy, admittedly there are the one’s you’ll miss out on, such as Nighthawk’s turn around, however its better to miss one than be involved in 2 3 4 5 6…you get the idea.

Simple, if a company has never delivered, what’s the odds of it delivering? You can research and consider items but the facts are there…unless of course you like the taste of jam, tomorrow, the day after and next year.  


So you’re thinking of a good company? I can automatically name one…

Grant of Options to Iofina Directors 12/11/2013 they should be congratulated, admittedly I’ve sold most of my stock and barely hold any now, but I had been buying for a very long time…despite significant abuse and attempts to ramp the stock, I persisted. It’s the reason I don’t read the bulletin boards now…the commentary in my view is fairly disconnected from reality. 

Bulletin Boards invoke a fear or psychological element that doesn’t match the returns. Likewise paying for coverage of stocks, or live share prices? Why would you bother, your terminal should do it for you. Traders, Investors and the like should start demanding more. If you’re buying stock, get your broker to send you their coverage..you are after all paying a fee. If not move somewhere where you’re valued and coverage is guaranteed. There’s nothing up with paying for coverage if you returns are likely, however these stocks have peaks and troughs…Rant over. Apologies I try and keep this specific to certain International Arbitration Stocks, but I am what the market makes haha! 

As a final thought, for those investors out there…there aren’t many now. Why do you need live prices to look at to over focus? To pay someone else for despite no doubt paying them a trading fee as well? I have prices, I pay for it, but it’s my livelihood now, 90% of my income comes from the market. It doesn't make me better than someone working in an office or not wearing jeans 99% of the time bar the odd meeting! However, people have a perception they need all these boltons to make money often paying for prices, but watching their stock go up and down and doing nothing? Sound familiar? Well if it does consider whether its viable to even bother with it.

When in fact, most people trade to often, focus on one stock too much and as is evident by discussion with other parties. Not often make money. This doesn't mean the Tom Winnifriths and Dan Levi’s of this world aren’t valuable, their traditional approach to investing (my view) should make them more valuable to the retailer without the time to cover items as much as TW & DL do. No I'm not paid to state that, it's just something I have a view on. However, from a distance I have observed the abuse, the discontent and the like said about them. Would someone really call them that to their face? Just because you have a screen to rant at, doesn’t mean you can’t at least be polite. So for those without the manners, don't bother reading this board or any board. In fact go and learn some before you start insulting yourself more..

However here’s an equation for you…


When a company returns little for its shareholders and the board cost a lot…which way is the SP going. So if a party points this out, why get abusive? Perhaps your risk profile is “of the hope they do one day return money”, but the abuse… I am lucky, I have a fail safe, I don’t read the abuse now, Ian does, poor chap, he approves or not. Likewise, if there’s negative commentary it shall be published guaranteed only if it doesn't include abuse or personal insults…

As an additional thought, not related to the above:

Investors need to be more aware of where a company is in terms of 'commercial success' (returns from shareholders). Follow Inspirit Energy to get an idea of the movement in the SP. I would have shorted this had it been available as a short. The reasons being the company will need to sell significant amounts to actually gain a return for stock holders. Once you wrap in all the costs on top of producing...

When looking at the Micro-CHP (micro combined heat and power) and the feed in tariffs. I don't form a belief that CHP on a micro level will produce "20%" of the energy for the UK. The reliance on GAS has significant risks anyway...however I'm not going to have a debate about Energy. I merely want people to follow the stock. A) with the Equity Swap Agreement B) The requirements for funding, albeit I want people to consider its possible with http://www.help-link.co.uk/boilers whom offer finance, so does BG etc...If INSP start to offer affordable finance (perhaps via the The Green Deal financing mechanism) that doesn't eat into the cost of the boiler significantly and the feed in tariffs are reliable, then there could be a case. However the cash flow required doesn't stack up to me currently. Hence the valuation at just under £10M market cap (Shares 566.77m SP: 1.75p mid) in my opinion is over-rated based on future expectations alone. 

I always want people, to consider the impact of the Australian dollar depreciation, its my main FX trade. Look at the cost of gold and the likely impact on exports from Australia to China...

Have a good weekend, time for a children's party...

11 comments:

  1. Good to see you back on form Fraser. I follow you often on markets alphaville & have sold a lot of stock you have mentioned for negative reasons. I'd love it if you came back to regularly discussing things.

    You have saved me a fortune just by sticking to some rules you discussed. I even managed my first short on POG thanks to you. Some 500 points & you're a legend & sorry you had to stop posting on advfn. The true investors valued your ups & downs on stock something I would pay for compared to whats out there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rich, I didn't have to stop, I elected to as it's very time consuming and as a plus, not using the boards enabled me to change tracks completely and trade efficiently. I don't think there's a market out there for charging for my rants/view points. I'm just me and have my views, often from making the mistakes myself and plenty more to make along the way.

    Thanks for the comments and well done on POG! Atb Fraser

    ReplyDelete
  3. spot on as usual. You can read all the pros & cons to a company but if it simply isn't doing the job financially it does not give me a return. I have cancelled my live price & level 2 subscription Fraser as I got carried away with the yuppy idealogy this time next year. I am also taking a break from buying anything until I have started to get my own analysis right. thanks for saving me a small fortune in losing trades & monthly items I do not need. TIA Hugh

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Fraser- its clear you have no intention of sitting on any fences, which is very refreshing, and you've highlighted one of my pet rants- the AIM companies that seem to run almost exclusively for the benefit of moving cash from the companies accounts to the boards pockets, as quickly as possible. No doubt GKP could be added to your list, albeit the new board members and reintroduction of Jeremy Asher could bring a more commercial approach in the longer term. As you know, I tend to adopt a long strategy, perhaps in the manner of a special situations fund in some cases, but I do agree that the key to trusting a company is to judge their delivery on previous promises and its amazing how many companies cant deliver, whilst trying to put a positive spin in the IMSs to cloud the issue. They often use the word Pleased when they should be using Sorry instead.

    Still trying to work out where that EXI stake and offer will end up, but I still have them valued at £4 ish based on proven reserves and their infrastructure, so I will wait for the (possibly bitter) end pre Xmas. I will get news on the weird BLZ Israeli bid around the same time- Im not sure if you followed that one but its bizarre to say the least.

    Cheers for now.

    The Leggie. :-)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leggie, was reviewing a few items and came across this. It's somewhat concerning those 'close' to the coal face are taking their cake now. http://www.investegate.co.uk/exillon-energy-plc--exi-/rns/holding-s--in-company/201311251744238920T/

      Now if the assertions are correct why sell significantly below the take out. Perhaps in my view the risks have increased i.e. offer price, deal going ahead or worse, a paper offer?

      http://www.investegate.co.uk/exillon-energy-plc--exi-/rns/holding-s--in-company/201311251744238920T/

      So let me get this right Mikhail Gutseriev, who bought the shares on Monday 18th November, had sold at a profit of 10p apiece to Igor Shkolnik, a Kazakh businessman who today notified the exchange he sold them Friday, 22nd November. Dark pit trade it looks like...would the buyer please stand up!

      Atb Fraser

      Delete
    2. Hi Fraser

      As you've no doubt noticed, he appears to "found" them again now, albeit via a different holding company (Hanberg Finance Ltd ??).

      Looks like a game of pass the parcel to me- perhaps he bought them via the wrong holding company in the first place and gave his Kazak pal 10p per share to act as a middle man.

      Not sure if I have come across anything quite like this before, but I could guess that tax lawyers are involved. Do let me know if you are offered the 24m shares shortly :-)))

      Cheers.

      TheLeggie

      Delete
    3. Leggie - i was for EXI- Still am but does it not seem strange the process is delayed - I bought exi after trying to persuade Ffor some time - he didnt have confidence in it- then again its russian - like you Im a holder & will continue until the news either way - Cheers Ian

      Delete
  5. Leggie, having been correct about GKP, it'll no doubt offer value but would you hold when they need a good $500M by my estimates for which I've been very public about. Yes they've raised money, but from what I heard they had a tough time to raise $50M...rather a contradiction to the previous fundraiser. There's better assets out there, one for example being Afren..IMO. However having held long, and consistently I'd be wary of buying at the current price but happy to hold.

    EXI (Exillion) I sold out of, the deal including the recent share sale are a contradiction...assets valued significantly higher but...well I was happy with the profit. If I miss out on further I'd not be unpset as the risks now are increasing. trades for the sake of "10p"...I just can't call it. When I don't have faith in it, I have to remove myself from the process. Best of success to you. Why does Exillion remind me of so many other Russian Companies!?

    I was once Long only, I'm not so naive now I’ll intra trade whilst holding equity. I have faith now, a prime example being holding equity in SXX but opening shorts to cover the clear and obvious drop.

    Time will tell for all including Emblaze, (LSE: BLZ). I missed the boat despite Ian banging on about them for some time when they were 20 or so pence. I have to say, the last time I looked I didn’t understand what was happening, when and what. Perhaps I’m just too thick!

    Ian says there’s a number of messages appear frustrated at Rurelec’s delay. What’s to be frustrated about, the moment will come, the award will be clear/final so there’s nothing else but time. Patience the dark side is upon us! Haha…
    Atb Fraser

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ian

    Thanks for the reply. My decision to hold EXI is based in part on the Alliance Oil takeover strike price from its 44% Russian shareholder, Alliance Gp-

    http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-10-31/alliance-oil-recommends-1-22-billion-offer-from-alliance-group.html

    Based on 2P (proven) reserves, they paid $3.4 per barrel and if we get the same price for EXIs most recent (27/8/13) 2P of 520m barrels, we are looking at over £10.
    I don't think we will get £10, but the big Russian oil and gas companies are in a landgrab at present (Gazprom and Rossneft have recently made other offers) and I think we have good assets here and production the majors are v keen to have onstream now, so I think its still a good risk/reward bet here. Arip (who holds 30%) is also having an interesting time financially so I believe he would accept an offer of £4 or more, based on his previous statements.

    But it is Russia, so fingers (and toes) crossed. :-))

    Cheers.

    The Leggie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Morning Leggie, doing a bit of admin work and clearing up some issues with Rurelec that people are incapable of understanding.

    You might have missed the valuation of proven and probable on AOC, when you cross this over to the EXI it makes (my view remember) a maximum offer price of £3.347117718003518 per share based on £1:$1.60 exchange rates and a barrel cost of 1.664392905866303$/pb. Add on another 10p per share or thereabouts for cash. That gives me an indication of the maximum value. However, funding this may prove difficult...

    Atb Fraser

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fraser

    Thanks- are you sure about all those decimal places :-)) Im pretty sure that EXI wont be around this time next year, but agree they may struggle to get full value.

    That quote about the electricity re RUR is a classic- Im sure the BB type stuff you get here is v good at winding you up.

    See you shortly- I bet you are enjoying the ABM action this am.

    Cheers. The Leggie

    ReplyDelete